Gallbladder Expert Forum
Christopher R Watters, MD

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Christopher R Watters, MD

I'm not sure if the thread is full, but it isn't letting me reply in my old thread. I just wanted to post my response to the discussion in this thread(http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gallbladder/Christopher-R-Watters--MD/show/1863693) in hopes it would be answered. Thanks.

I posted:

Thanks for answering, I really appreciate it. But that's where my situation becomes very complicated. There was actually never any suspicion that my gallbladder was the problem during the course of any of these tests. I actually asked for the upper right quadrant ultrasound and it was ordered reluctantly. Same thing with the first HIDA, I asked for it and again it was reluctantly ordered for me. The first HIDA scan showed an abnormality and the doctors don't really know what to do with it because in their minds they don't seem to want to believe it really could be my gallbladder and also that 2nd HIDA scan was normal. They just pretty much try to explain why it doesn't make sense or come up with reasons why it wasn't accurate. Everyone involved is just very skeptical and won't look outside of the box. I understand the vast majority of people with gallbladder problems have right side pain and stones, and it becomes hard to see it may be gallbladder related without pain or evidence of stones. Again, my symptoms are a very intense heavy, fullness/bloating in my mid abdominal area after eating, that persists and increases throughout the day, which I believe are directly related to a rapid 20 lb weight loss(eating very low fat) that occurred directly before I started noticing my symptoms. I understand most doctor's first thought wouldn't be gallbladder related based on my rather vague and common sounding symptoms. And I get that I have a lot of things working against me, on paper I appear healthy, and I am a 23 year old who is now at a healthy weight. But the way they act like it is nearly impossible confuses me.
I tried to respond but something has changed and wouldn't allow it.

Although we think of gallbladder disease in overweight patients, it is actually rapid weight loss that seems to correlate with gallbladder disease the best. We think it relates to the rapid release of cholesterol from cell membranes of fat cells. Most physicians are reluctant to blame the gallbladder without episodes of pain. For a HIDA to be useful there must be a strong clinical suspicion of gallbladder disease. It is not a good screening exam because there are too many variables in the results. In your situation, there are certainly many symptoms that would be typical for gallbladder disease. One could argue that, if the rest of a thorough evaluation were negative, that cholecystectomy would be reasonable if the symptoms warranted it.