Gallbladder Community
Dr. Watters Confused with surgeons recommendations
About This Community:

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dr. Watters Confused with surgeons recommendations

Last year I decided  to start eating more healthy and lost about 15 pounds. Then I started experiencing burning sensation under my right breast / ribcage and mentioned to my primary doctor.  He thought might be just skin irritation. Month later (after having a bowl of home-made vegetable soup for supper) I woke up around 5:00 am with severe pains in my upper right side, back and severe pain when I took deep breaths. No nausea or vomiting.  My doctor ordered ultra-scan with came back normal with blood test that also came back normal.  Couple weeks later, I made a vegetable stir-fry (without oil) and rice for supper, and around 3:00 am woke with another attack.  Dr ordered a HIDA scan results 4% . Several days later, I began having post menopausal bleeding.( After biopsy found caused by polop)  My Dr, referred me to surgeon,  who stated I didn't need to have my gall bladder removed -just limit amount of  high fat foods from my diet. He stated if I wanted my gall bladder out he would remove it but it wasn't necessary. He prescribed generic Zanac and said to take Mylanta when I began to have symptoms.    I discussed with my primary doctor  about wanting a second opinion.  The second surgeon said  there was a 30%  chance surgery would not help and I could still be in pain.  He said staying on a low fat may help and it was up to me.  I have lost total of 68 pounds. I have slight pain or aching in back or shoulder between shoulder blades sometimes .  Rarely have the burning sensation under breast / rib. .   Last blood test (2 months ago) did show my cholesterol level was 250 and my doctor said to wait 3 months and will get it checked again to see if medication is needed.  After reading some articles regarding low functioning gall bladders and bladder cancer, I am somewhat concerned since my mother died of pancreatic cancer.  What do you think?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2827584_tn?1340583296
I am unaware of any correlation between gallbladder dyskinesia and cancer. There is a correlation between large gallstones and subsequent gallbladder cancer. I do question your surgical advice however. Studies have shown 90-95% resolution of symptoms with cholecystectomy in the scenario that you describe. By the way, the major weight loss is probably a major contributing factor. This is highly correlated with the onset of gallbladder disease. Time to find a surgeon who knows the literature.
Blank
Thank you for the input.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gallbladder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949