Gallbladder Community
Enlarged Common Duct

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Enlarged Common Duct

Hiya
I just had the results of the ultrasound for my upper right abdominal pain.
The findings are:

Gallbladder is free of calculi. No Stone and Obstruction was seen.
However the common duct entering the pancreatic head is enlarged and measures 0.8 cm.
No enlarged pancreatic duct within the pancreas and otherwise appears normal.

Also blood test came back normal.

Am wondering what is causing the common duct to be enlarged at the pancreatic head?Could it be something serious?

I have been referred for a CT scan.

Enlargement of the CBD is typically attributed to having had the duct blocked at some point in time by a stone or spasms that may have resulted in a back-up of bile and pancreatic fluids.
Can anyone please help & explain recent results of yet unexplained mrcp report ! Although I have a family history of lynch syndrome & related cancers which is also hilighted at the begining of the report it is in great depth & to the knowlege do not understand ! I had mrcp scan on mon 29.10.12 & receive a copy today 2.11.12 from gp to give to a breast specilist due to several bulky lymph nodes in my neck & armpit I'm 2 see her on the 7.11.12 & couldn't help myself & had a nose ! The report writes as follows evidence of a distendered extrahepatic common duct. The cystic duct is also demonstrated. The extrahepatic common duct measures 12.4mm. This is seen into the head of the pancreas. On the mrcp images there does appear to be acute cut off at the distal end of the common duct.Although I cannot explain the cause of this. Refferal for endoscopic ultrasound or direct visualisation is advised. Can anyone please please explain what all this means as I'm going out my mind with worry ! I had my gallbladder out in oct 2010 via keyhole surgery ! Ended up having a small bleed on my liver then had a tube in my back as had poison round my liver which then I endered up with septocimia & to top it off c-diff ! So not very pleasent straight forward op ! Iv also bin informed on 30.10.12 I am b12 defisiant could this b linked ! I haven't been well now for some time hence all tests & findings ! But need help please with translating results as feel like throwing myself in the mersey !! Which I'm not just my hummour to stay positive ! Thanks guys for any info you can kindly give xx
Are your liver function tests elevated? Why was the study done? This could represent sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (functional), inflammation, stricture or mass. With these findings an ERCP and/or endoscopic ultrasound exM would be in order.