Gall Blader symptoms, need opinions
MY granddaughter was hospitalized 1 1/2 weeks  for extreame pain in the upper center abdomen just below the sternum, accompanied by nausea. Based on these symptoms plus elevated wihite blood cell count, an appendectomy was peformed, the apendix was enlarged  3X normal and was thought to be the cause of her symptoms.She had experienced these symptoms .a number of times in the last 2 years. Last night she was taken to emerengcy wth the SAME symptoms, and admitted to the hospital. In addition to severe upper center abdominal pain and vomiting/ nausea, she had a high white blood cell count obviously indicating an infection, and low BP 77/54. She has had an MRI which does not show gall bladder involvement, IV's of fluids have help the low BP. A gastro- Intronologist is expected shortly for more tests.

Questions; is low BP, consistent with GB problems? ,I  know the pain and nausea is. How definitive is an MRI in diagnosing GB problems? What other tests, ultrsound, endoscopy, blood markers such as enzyms etc. would be advised?

Any advice or input appreciated.

Rich 38
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The ultrasound and MRI will show a structural lesion of the gall bladder. To test the functioning of the gall bladder a HIDA scan may be needed. HIDA scan, which stands for hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan, is an imaging procedure that helps track the production and flow of bile from the liver to the small intestine.  A normal result means that the radioactive tracer moved freely along with the bile from the liver to the small intestine. Liver function tests may further help in the diagnosis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I was told Gallbladder can be difficult to diagnose when there is no stones involved, for 7 months, I had extreme pain, nausea, vomiting, weightloss... I had every test and scan you could think of, the HIDA scan is it was showed I had a normal EF but was extremely sluggish... I had mine out in January and all my symptoms went with it thankfully.  Hope she gets some answers and feels better soon.  Did you get any word yet?