Gallbladder Community
Gallbladder Attack After Removal?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Gallbladder Attack After Removal?

I began having gallbladder attacks in January, they ran tests and said it was full of thick sludge and needed removed. Then as they were admitting me to remove it, they found out I was in early stages of pregnancy and it needed to be put off, at least until my second trimester. My attacks got worse as time went on. I was in the ER all the time and on pain meds pretty much my whole pregnancy. At 22 weeks they felt it would be best to have it removed so they did. About 2 days after my surgery I felt what seemed like a mild attack and I thought it was in my head but this past week I have been getting a few more late at night that seem pretty excrutiating and feel just like the attacks I had before it was removed. Is this possible or did they misdiagnose me and I have something else wrong? I am now 25 weeks along and it has been 3 weeks since my surgery.
Hi there,

Congratulations on your pregnancy, but sorry to hear about your pain, especially after the surgery.

How long ago did you have the surgery?

It is possible that you have another issue happening, I have a condition called Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and also a narrow duct and my gallbladder got misdiagnosed....so it does happen.

I would start doing research on these type of biliary conditions, and also a title for this called post cholecystectomy syndrome....

As I'm sure you know, you need to be very careful with painkillers while pregnant so make sure you work alongside your doctor during this time.

I wish you well

Sarsi
The most common reason for recurrent pain soon after gallbladder surgery is sludge or stones that have passed down the main bile duct. This is typically evaluated by repeating your liver function tests and obtaining a MRCP - a specialized version of a MRI which does not give the baby or you any radiation exposure. Your surgeon needs to know about your symptoms.