Gallbladder Expert Forum
Gallbladder Polyps

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Gallbladder Polyps
I have had annual US to follow polyps.  Needed CT scan to another issue but radiologist says "gallbladder is distended with 3 enhancing modular foci, greatest is 6mm, this could be due to polyps but follow up and clinical correlation shod be done to help exclude any developing carcinoma. ". Does this mean I need gallbladder surgery?
As long as the "other reason" has nothing to do with potential GB problems, no. As long as you are asymptomatic the US following is appropriate. Current guidelines would suggest that surgery should be considered if any polyp enlarges to greater than 10mm. Below this size, the incidece of malignancy is exceedingly low.
Thank you for your reply.  The reason for the CT scan was to evaluate a 1.6 cm kidney cyst which turned out to be a simple cyst.  I am concerned because the polyps enhanced, and I'm not sure if enhancement is expected with polypoid lesions.  Other than that the gallbladder polyps have been stable for 10 years.