Gallbladder Community
Gallbladder Tenderness

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Gallbladder Tenderness

I have been diagnosed with stones and sludge and am scheduled for surgery.  I have severe tenderness in my abdomen. I am very swollen and cannot wait to get it out. My tenderness seems worse in the vein areas. Is this normal?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.What you have been experiencing is biliary colic. It occurs when the gallstones obstruct the extra hepatic ducts-cystic, hepatic duct or common bile duct. The fluid keeps accumulating behind the site of obstruction and it distends the bile duct and the gallbladder. This distension causes pain. You will notice that this pain subsides gradually. This usually happens if the gallstone shifts within the duct .You may try taking some pain killers after consulting your doctor. Do write to us again. Good luck for your surgery.