Gallbladder Community
Gallbladder disease with normal HIDA scan?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Gallbladder disease with normal HIDA scan?llbladder symptoms for over a year. She had a normal HIDA scan, nothing abnormal with an ultrasound or EGD. Her pediatric gastroenterologist keeps treating her for IBS with no improvement. He wants to put her on Elavil. I had gallbladder disease when I was a teenager that took over a year to diagnose. My aunt also had it. There us a family history.I was told that after 6 weeks of treatment for IBS she would be referred to a surgeon if the treatment was not successful.Well, that went out the window.I am tired of nothing working and seeing my child sick and in pain. She has right upper quadrant pain that radiates into her back, nausea and vomiting, and dizzyness. Is there any way that she actually can have gallbladder disease and her HIDA scan be normal?If so, how can I get her doctor to listen to me?
PS. The ejection fraction with her HIDA was in a normal range, but it reproduced the symptoms.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, reproduction of symptoms could be an indication of gallbladder disease. But if the ejection fraction is normal, then there is no indication for gallbladder removal. In general avoid all food high in fat and cholesterol. Also avoid all food high in calories and include plenty of high fiber diet. Avoid all fried food, fatty red meat, whole milk dairy products and highly processed food. Include plenty of fresh fruits, high fiber vegetables, whole grains, lean meat and low fat dairy products. This could reduce her symptoms of pain and gallstone formation. Regards.