Gallbladder removal and Colon cancer
Dear Doctor,

Just wanted to confirm if your gall bladder is removed at the age of 30  does it increase risk of having colon cancer ? is it true?? Please confirm this for me as its quiet worrying.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are studies to show that there is a slight chance of increased risk of colon cancer after gall bladder removal. However, the risk of colon cancer can be prevented by avoiding processed red meat, limiting red meat to no more than 12-18 ounces per week, eating plenty of fiber-rich foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables, exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Dr Anitha,

Thank you for your quick reply, im from pakistan. :)  Just have polyps in my gallbladder which are 4mm, they were basically found while having a ultrasound for a muscle pull. got little depressed hearing on removing gallbladder may slightly increase risk of colon cancer....  :(
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Any structural abnormalities of the gall bladder like stones or polyps need surgical correction. If the polyp is placed in the neck of the gall bladder, it can cause retention of bile, with stasis and consequent infection. So, the best option would be to have an elective gall bladder removal.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.