Gallbladder Expert Forum
Gallbladder removed still have pain

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Gallbladder removed still have pain

Gallbladder removed on oct 30th still have pain.  Before surgery I had right upper quadrant pain I had a abdominal US, ct scan no contrast, HIDA scan with CCK 67%EF and symptoms reproduced after CCK, bloodwork, and upper endoscopy with biopsies.   10 days after gallbladder removed pain returned I got more bloodwork, had HIDA scan again, CT scan with contrast, then had a pelvic exam, abdominal X-Rays, and a small bowel series.  Everything has come back normal.   I don't know what this could possibly be.  Pain is getting worse its constant but waxes and wanes.  Keeping a journal to see if there is a pattern seems it bothers me after eating but I'm trying to keep a low fat diet.  I have a 3 yr old daughter and want to have my life back so I can be the energetic active mom I used to be.  Oh I'm 27yr old female btw who is 5'1 and 125lbs and before this I used to exercise all the time.   Any suggestions would be helpful thank you:)
Tags: help!
I think you might have a slight misunderstanding of "motility problem". This has nothing to do with how your stomach or bowels are working. The sphincter of Oddi controls how bile from the common bile duct enters your intestine. It is supposed to relax when it gets the CCK signal. A sphincter that refuses to relax can easily explain the pain that you describe. It is not uncommon that these patients actually have increased pain after having gallbladder surgery because the intact gallbladder was acting as a bellows to absorb some of the back pressure.
I had mine removed in 3/2003. After 10 years of nasty tests. To the point of them thinking I was crazy. Found out that it was "Sludge" removed it. Felt better,  but have burning in same area. Found out that the staples where they went in for orthoscopic(?) Hole hit a nerve. I get in injection from Pain Management Doctor in the area. Best thing I ever did! I forget about it until it wears off. Then get another. It usually last me 3 to 5 months. That's just 1 issues out of many that I don't have to deal with. I am no medical doctor. But that was my experience.  Good luck, you have to be your own advocate. Don't give up.
Thank you so much for your response it's nice to know there are others out there going through same stuff.  Glad to know as well that there are other ways to manage pain instead of narcotics.   Thanks again for your advice:)
Oh yea I'm getting a MRCP Tom am so hopefully they will find something out:)
I got MRCP it came back normal.....got referred to Duke to see Dr.Branch he wants to do a special HIDA scan to try and find something before we do ERCP because its so risky.....we will see but I was very pleased with him:)
I'm so frustrated got backfrom Duke had another HIDA scan this time with CCK. Before injection my number was 4 when checking for sphincter of oddi numbers 0 to 4 are normal 5 and above are abnormal.   They are saying I have motility problems which seems crazy I have nothing wrong with my bowels at all!! I have no stomach issues at all either no heartburn nausea or vomiting I'm sooooo frustrated I have been crying all day..... Thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel instead I'm buried in ****! Ughhhhh so tired of being in pain and no one wants to help me