Gallbladder Community
Gallstones??? Not sure what the cause of this pain is.

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

I never have pain on my right side in the front, which is where the gallbladder is, but sometimes always a severe pain in my mid back, left side, sometimes the right side or both sides at the same time, that starts as an ache and travels down my back increasing into a severe stabbing pain.  This lasts usually for 3 hours to 12 hours. I always thought it could be kidney related, stones perhaps, but doctors say there's no kidney stones. But they now think the cause of the pain could be gallbladder, and gallstones. Is that possible? Can the gallstones cause severe, traveling, aching, stabbing back pain? I've had an unknown digestive disorder for 5 years already, tons of food give me diarrhea. If it is gallbladder, the cause of my digestive problems, maybe having it removed would make my digestive problems go away? But I also know people can have more complications after gallbladder removal. And mostly just want to know if this pain seems right. Is this pain gallbladder related? Doctors also have thought maybe it could be an ovarian cyst, but I have no idea how that could be a severe, traveling, aching, stabbing, upper to mid to lower back pain either. It's all so confusing.
Hi There,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering. Have you had an ultrasound to see if you do have any gallstones? It is definately sounding like it is a possibility.....as it sounds like it is typical Upper Right Quadrant pain, which is radiating up into your back like gallbladder attack pain does!

As to your diarrhea.....that could be simply IBS or it could be indicative of liver/bile or even pancreatic issues.....have you heard of a condition of Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction? Perhaps research a few of these conditions and see if they sound like you, and discuss the possibilities with your doctor.

Good luck
Does anyone have any thoughts? ;/
Hi There,

Good luck
Most of the time the pain is only in my back on the left side, sometimes both sides, that's why I don't understand how that's gallbladder pain, especially when it's never in the front of me. I have had an ultrasound and it showed that I do have gallstones.
Thanks for trying to help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could be renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. Sometimes small stones may pass through and may not be detected by imaging studies. Gall bladder disease is unlikely to cause severe radiating pain down into the pelvis. The other causes for the pain could be infections of the bowel and bladder, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Please consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests, x- rays and may ask for an ultrasonogram to find out the cause for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have the same exact thing you describe. One Dr said i.had a kidney infection, but after 5 days of antibiotics I was feeling worse and getting the pains more often,especially at night. had an xray yesterday and they said.I have no kidney infection or stones but that they think it is my gallbladder. The pain feels lower though, but it.does shoot up at times. I havr.had kidney infections and stones before but this.feels different. I also have lost 50 pounds and.i heard that can make your gallbladder go out. I am very bloated lately and gassy too. I see you say you did.end up having gallstones. What did the Dr end up.doing for you?
The gallstones, they suggested I get my gallbladder removed, because that's all they really can do for it, but I don't want to go through surgery yet. :(
I am still in the process of finding out more. If I avoid certain foods, it stays away (some includes dairy and baked sweet stuff, cookies, cake etc and high amounts of sodium) so thankfully I don't have to worry about getting the pain, unless I eat that stuff. They also suggested I have a colonoscopy too, but I wasn't able to do that.
This sounds like your pancreas. Did you get a dx?
It turned out to be my gallbladder! I had many more stones in it. I had it removed last year, May 2013. I've had no more severe pain like I described and my digestive issues have improved some, although I still have problems with food, sometimes diarrhea and heartburn/acid reflux. It's all easier to deal with though, than what I used to go through. :)