Gallbladder Community
Gallstones or something worse?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Gallstones or something worse?

So my wife has been experiencing some pain on her right side (upper and lower abdomen).  She has also put on weight and hasn't been able to lose it (normally she drops weight quickly when she diets).  So we went to the doctor.  The dr said she has elevated bilirubin in her urine and when he poked and prodded her she had pain in the areas that he was checking.  She says that the pain is pretty mild, more like discomfort and she's the type of person who doesn't deal well with pain, so it must be pretty mild.  She has not had an attack, but has felt run down, bloated and has pain in her abdomen and back.  The pain is mostly on the right, but she said she gets it on the left side intermittently.  She also says that it feels like her right hip is bruised.  Her grandfather had gallbladder issues, and she is a yoyo dieter, so those are two red flags.  But she is only 30 and has never been overweight (5'3 115lbs normally, though she has put on 20lbs in the past year and a half due to a new stressful job, and 6lbs since sept).

What worries me is that her ultrasound isn't until 2-21 and after reading things on the Internet, her symptoms are similar to symptoms of much worse things that gallstones.  The main thing that bothered me is she's been on a low fat diet all this week and we decided to test out her gallbladder (suggested by a person at work who had gallstones) and had her eat a 1oz piece of cheese.  She had no pain or discomfort.  My question is, with someone who is having only mild discomfort, was that enough fat to cause pain?  Also, is lack of pain even indicative of not having gallstones?

I had a close friend die of ovarian cancer, and I'm really paranoid about it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
A clinical examination and work up is essential for correct diagnosis. High risk factors for developing gallstones are diabetes mellitus, rapid weight loss, liver cirrhosis, chronic hemolytic anemia Gallstones may be asymptomatic but a large stone can block either the cystic duct or common bile duct leading to cramping pain in the middle to right upper abdomen. The pain may go away if the stone passes into the first part of the small intestine. Reducing the consumption of saturated fat may help in gallstone symptoms. An ovarian cancer will present with bleeding from the vagina ,pain in lower abdomen, weight gain or loss, abnormal periods, nausea ,vomiting etc.Does your wife have vaginal bleeding or abnormal cycles? Only an ultrasound can confirm the exact cause. Stop worrying and do get back to me after the test results.
Best wishes and take care!