Gallbladder Community
Gallstones
About This Community:

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Gallstones

My daughter is 18 years old.  She had an ultrasound the night before last and it showed she has Gallstones.  We're now waiting for a consult with the surgeon.  She is currently in the hospital.  She has been sick for the past 3 years with vomiting, nausea, and severe right side stomach pain.  She was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.  About every 4-10 weeks, she would have an episode and be hospitalized for 3-5 days.  In between episodes, she feels pretty well.  Vomits maybe once a week if at all.  Could her symptoms for the past 3 years have been related to undiagnosed Gallstones?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
lori (Sarah's mom)
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello,
It may be difficult to confirm the exact cause of her 3 year illness without a complete medical history and details about her clinical examination and investigations. An abdominal ultrasound can help in detecting gallstones. Did she never undergo an ultrasonography since past 3 years? Many people with gallstones have never had any symptoms and are detected only during a routine x-ray, abdominal surgery, or other medical procedure. A large stone can block the cystic duct or common bile duct and lead to cramping pain in the middle to right upper abdomen.3 years is a too long time for a person to remain undiagnosed from gallstones. Gallstones might have developed a few months back. This is only speculation. It is best to discuss your concerns with her treating doctor and get the doubts clarified. I do hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Blank
I had all the signs & symptoms you stated above the nausea, severe stomach pain, I also had headaches (probably because my body didnt know what to do) I was in elementary school. 3rd grade in fact. The beginning of my 7th grade year I was told I had a cluster of gallstones & a very bad infection around it. It was clear I had them for awhile. I was never sonographed until the last time I was admitted to the hospital.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gallbladder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank