Gallbladder Community
Gallstones

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Gallstones

My daughter is 18 years old.  She had an ultrasound the night before last and it showed she has Gallstones.  We're now waiting for a consult with the surgeon.  She is currently in the hospital.  She has been sick for the past 3 years with vomiting, nausea, and severe right side stomach pain.  She was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.  About every 4-10 weeks, she would have an episode and be hospitalized for 3-5 days.  In between episodes, she feels pretty well.  Vomits maybe once a week if at all.  Could her symptoms for the past 3 years have been related to undiagnosed Gallstones?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
lori (Sarah's mom)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It may be difficult to confirm the exact cause of her 3 year illness without a complete medical history and details about her clinical examination and investigations. An abdominal ultrasound can help in detecting gallstones. Did she never undergo an ultrasonography since past 3 years? Many people with gallstones have never had any symptoms and are detected only during a routine x-ray, abdominal surgery, or other medical procedure. A large stone can block the cystic duct or common bile duct and lead to cramping pain in the middle to right upper abdomen.3 years is a too long time for a person to remain undiagnosed from gallstones. Gallstones might have developed a few months back. This is only speculation. It is best to discuss your concerns with her treating doctor and get the doubts clarified. I do hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
I had all the signs & symptoms you stated above the nausea, severe stomach pain, I also had headaches (probably because my body didnt know what to do) I was in elementary school. 3rd grade in fact. The beginning of my 7th grade year I was told I had a cluster of gallstones & a very bad infection around it. It was clear I had them for awhile. I was never sonographed until the last time I was admitted to the hospital.