Gallbladder Community
HIDA Scan with CCK

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

HIDA Scan with CCK

Hi everyone. On January 13, 2012 I had an Abdominal Ultrasound, which came back showing the Gallbladder Normal with no gallstones, with just a small Polyp on it.

Due to continuation of Gallbladder Attacks, my Gastroenterologist ordered a HIDA Scan with CCK test this past Monday- February13, 2012. For the first hour of the test I felt a Mild Abdominal Pain in my Mid - Upper Right Abdomen and Gut, Bloated and Nauseated (which has been the norm since November 14, 2011). As the Technician completed just about half the injection of CCK, the pain was so awfull, I began to get tears in my eyes, The pain was like someone was prodding me with needles under my right side Upper Abdomen right under the ribcage. and radiating to the back of my right shoulder blades. This attack lasted for the entire 15minutes or so. This was the same pain I experience evertime I eat a greasy or high fat meal. I don't have my next appointment with my Gastroenterologist until March 1, 2012, so I won't get my results until then. Since completing the test and sticking to low-fat foods, I have been mostly woken up at night by these unbearable Gallbladder attacks.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had this experience with the CCK injection setting off a Gallbladder Attack and what their results were. Talking with others who have had the same experience I did, they have all told me that their Gallbladder wasn't working at all. I am dying in anticipation to know if I do have a Dysfunctional Gallbladder or what else it could be that has been giving me the Diarrhea and Gallbladder Attack symptoms since November 14, 2011.

I have had numerous Blood Tests, Stool Samples Tests, Colonoscopy done and they all show Normal. I say it has got to be the Gallbladder!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In HIDA scans the gall bladder gets filled in 5-10 mins and sometimes longer. The emptying usually happens within 2 hrs. That's what happens if the test is normal--if something is blocked then the progression stops flowing along--usually either the gall bladder never fills or it never empties in an abnormal scan. CCK HIDA or HIDA with ejection fraction (EF) is seen to check for gall bladder ejection. There is nausea and some amount of pain with this medication.

If gallbladder ejection fraction is below 35% is considered to be gallbladder dyskinesia.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.