Gallbladder Community
HIDA Scan

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

HIDA Scan

I have been experiencing pain behind the breast bone and nausea and excessive burping for the last two months. The pain is usually after I eat and can last several hours.  The nausea is usually in the morning and after I eat, it is worse in the morning.  I was being treated with several different PPI's which did not work and am currently on Nexium 40mg twice a day, which has helped reduce to the pain but not the burping and nausea.  I had an ultrasound which did not show stones.  I was then sent for a HIDA Scan and I am waiting for the results which I was told will take 3-5 business days.  During the HIDA Scan it took almost 60 minutes for my gallbladder to appear and even when it appeared the technician wasn't sure it was my gallbladder.  When she injected the CCK I felt a wave of nausea which lasted only 1-2 minutes.  Is it normal for the gallbladder to take so long to appear and do most people experience a reaction to the cck?  Of course, she wasn't allowed to give me the results, so I am waiting patiently hoping to fine and answer to what is causing my symptoms.  The nausea can be debilitating at times.
I should also add that I also get pain in my back between the shoulder blades.
Hi,  I am not a medical professional, but my daughter had a HIDA done a few years ago and they told me they look for a reaction when the cck is injected coupled with the pics and physical signs .. I hope you get answers soon .. please keep us posted and feel better.

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In HIDA scans the gall bladder gets filled in 5-10 mins and sometimes longer. The emptying usually happens within 2 hrs. That's what happens if the test is normal--if something is blocked then the progression stops flowing along--usually either the gall bladder never fills or it never empties in an abnormal scan. CCK HIDA or HIDA with ejection fraction (EF) is seen to check for gall bladder ejection. There is nausea and some amount of pain with this medication.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I received my results today and was diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia.  My doctor says my gallbladder is no longer working, I'm scheduled to meet with a surgeon next week. I'm really hoping this relieves my symptoms as I've also started getting severe epigastric pain which radiates through my abdomen, no amount of antacids have helped and the pain can last 12 hours.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there is gall bladder dyskinesia, you should be having fatty food intolerance and sometimes pain in the right upper quadrant if there is evidence of gall stones or inflammation of the gall bladder. If due to non-functionality of the gall bladder, there is stasis of bile, it could predispose to gall stone formation.

You could also be having peptic ulcer disease. Peptic ulcers are eroded areas in the lining of the digestive tract usually in the stomach and duodenum. The two common causes for this are: infection with helicobacter pylori and use of non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications (NSAID). So for the ulcer to heal and to reduce acid levels avoid NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. OTC antacids and antibiotics to treat H pylori further aid in therapy. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I do have an intolerance to fatty foods, I'm hardly able to eat anything without discomfort, I've already lost 10 pounds.  I have also started to also experience some pain in my right upper quadrant, however the pain is not severe.  Most of my pain is in the upper middle abdomen and back.

When my symptoms first started the doctor tested me for H.Pylori and it came back positive.  I finished the quadruple therapy approx. three weeks ago and the symptoms did not subside.  I also had an Upper G.I which came back normal.  Thank your for your help, I will keep you posted.
Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

C~
Was your pain a burning pain?   Also, did you have your gallbladder removed? and if so did it relieve your pain?