Gallbladder Expert Forum
HIDA scan-negative ejection fraction?

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

HIDA scan-negative ejection fraction?
I wrote earlier this week askong about gallbladder sludge and a HIDA scan. I got the results today and I have a negative ejection fraction?? Still no evidence of stones and I don't know what to think. I have an appointment scheduled with a surgeon on the 16th, but is a negative number normal in a bad gb or what could it indicate??

Thanks in advance!
I have never heard of a negative number for a HIDA with CCK. This would most likely mean that the study was not done right. The CCK is not given until the gallbladder has completely filled. A negative result would indicate that the gallbladder added more of the tracer labeled bile despite the CCK infusion. This could also be produced if the gallbladder measurements were picking up activity from the duodenum as well.

Were any of your symptoms reproduced during the CCKninfusion?
Hello and thanks for answering...no, my symptoms did not reproduce during the cck infusion. My gallbladder had not shown on the scan after about 70 minutes so they had me get up and walk around awhile and then resumed...about an hour after I got back on the table they started the cck portion.
I'm assuming that the slow filling gallbladder had something to do with the results?
Thanks again!!
I see online that a normal gallbladder ejection fraction is between 35 percent and 75 percent.  What was your number?  
The number was -5.5...I think my main concern is/was what the negative meant. I do have an appointment with a surgeon but am concerned about the risks of wandering around with a non functioning gallbladder. All I have now is a dull, steady ache that just came up a few days ago and hasn't gotten any better but by watching the diet...no recent attacks.
The extreme delay in visualizing your gallbladder is consistent with chronic cholecystitis. Truthfully, if it didn't show up until over 70 minutes most radiologists would not have even given the CCK.
I had my appointment with surgeon today...there were some changes from the initial information that was given to me. The ultrasound showed either sludge or nonshadowing stones (any idea what those are)? Also, they adjusted the HIDA number to 8%. Regardless,the recommendation is surgery ASAP and I have it scheduled for Monday. It's a little nerve wracking.
The thing I can remember from the cck portion was that i was watching it and could see the ducts very clearly but to the left of the common bile ductnwas a huge blob...looking back now and looking at some digeztive sysetm pics, it looked like it was my gallbladder
Sorry, didn't finish that last post. Anyway, it was in the location of the gb and I was thinking, boy that duct is getting big....based on what Dr W is saying it kind of makes sense even though I am not a medical person.
I am nervous about the surgery but will be glad when it's done!