Gallbladder Expert Forum
High Ejection Rate- Can This Be the Problem?

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Hello- Since September I have been struggling with nausea, bloating, belching, inability to eat, weight loss, fatigue, dizziness, SHARP and INTENSE pain in my right side immediately below my ribcage, diarrhea, etc.. you name it.. i have had an ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy and hida scan. All normal results according to my drs. From day one i have been convinced this was my gallbladder as my symptoms seem to line up perfectly and my mother and grandmother also have a history of the disease as well with fuzzy test results. When looking into this further I have found people that state a high ejection rate on your HIDA scan implicates a hyperactive gallbladder. Mine was 85% which my doctors are saying is "normal" and "one of the best they have seen". This worries me even more because why would the "best they have seen" not cause area for concern when I have most symptoms of gallbladder disease. When thinking about this further it made sense to me as I have a consistent sharp pain and am always nauseous.The mere thought of eating makes me sick to my stomach and the only way I can get through the day is to simply not eat at all. The pain is worsened by food, but never completely goes away. Sounds like a gallbladder that won't stop squeezing to me! But I am not a doctor and I am at my wits end. I have accumulated thousands of dollars of medical debt with no answers besides "maybe it's IBS", which I do not agree with. Can it be my gallbladder??? Can a high ejection rate mean there is a problem??? Are there any doctors out there who can tell me what the heck is going on???
Tags: high ejection rate, problem, Pain, test
An 85% ejection fraction is on the high side. If symptoms were reproduced with the CCK infusion during the HIDA scan I would be thinking gallbladder surgery. However, if the infusion was a slow one (over 30-60 min) and did not cause any of your typical symptoms, I would be reluctant to recommend cholecystectomy.
You might just might have what I have on left side which is nerve pain..I am going tomorrow for ultrasound of "abdomen" which is what my new gastroenterologist said..I have pain on both sides under rib cage..nausea, not wanting to eat.......just saw a new dr..so this is his idea....
However...
I have had pain on left side under rib cage in past so bad that I had to have nerve cut thru radio frequency ablation..that was last yr and the nerve grows back..sometimes the results of the procedure last longer..I have arthritis in lower back and the procedure gave me relief for 3 yrs and Needs to be done again but I take pain meds and they have kept pain down in that area but ...
Usually the doctor I had in past with such pain on left side did blood test to make sure was not pancrease, etc..nothing showed on MRI, endoscopy, so the doctors didn't know what to do ...tili I went in for a check a yr ago with my spinal anaesthsiologist about back pain and doubled over from pain on left side under rib cage..he injected lidocaine, it numbed the pain, he cut the nerve and oh my God! Relief...
I hope when I go for ultrasound tomorrow nothing shows up and I can have spinal dr check out cutting nerves again..he had said when he cut nerve at lumbar one left side that i might need right side done...
I have neuropathy pain which is heck because nothing shows up ..lucky that I had such severe pain at the time I was in office for the arthritis pain..and at least the REASON for that pain in lower back had showed up on mri's!
Hi, I'm curious if you've figured out your cause yet?  My son has very similar symptoms.  He's in incredible pain in his RUQ always and it worsen the instant he drinks or eats.  He's lost over 20 pounds now, it's like he's starving to death.  We have had so many tests done that all say "normal" it's so frustrating.  We're waiting on the results of his HIDA scan, really hoping it's abnormal, just for an answer.