Gallbladder Community
How common is a biliary obstruction?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

How common is a biliary obstruction?

Had emergency open gallbladder surgery 2 and a half years ago, been taking CHOLESTID for past year due to extreme diaharea. Doctor who put stint in day after gallbladder surgery says im lucky to be alive. Due to hypothyroidism had to stop taking CHOLESTID for the last month. Last 6 days ive been having severe pain in upper right stomach, especially after i eat which is getting more difficult by the day. Painful urination and fever.Stomach Pain comes and goes. Im not jaundice or vomiting. Cant see my G.I. doc till March. An EMT friend thought it could be an obstruction along with G.I. nurse practioner. Was wondering if obstruction is rare?   The stint was removed 6 weeks after surgery.
It sounds like you need to be investigated.......an mrcp should hopefully give some answers.

I wish you well
Sarsi
pain has subsided for the most part, i will definently talk to G.I. about an ECRP when i see him march 6. Thank you, its nice to know there are still good people out there. Hope you are well
MRCP.
Hi there,

In my opinion a stone in bile duct, so many years after your Gallbladder removal is highly unlikely.  If indeed there is a blockage, you will become jaundice and vomit.

It is very possible that you have an infection in your large intestine or even a Heli Pylori infection.  You need to see a GI to confirm this.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s most probable that you may be suffering from a urinary tract infection. The pain on urination and fever can be attributed to this. Evidence of a stone or prostate enlargement need to be ruled out. You need to consult a doctor, who will examine you. He will ask for a urine analysis and a culture of your urine to start you on the appropriate antibiotic. In the meantime consume plenty of oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.