Gallbladder Community
Hyperactive Gallbladder

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Hyperactive Gallbladder

Two months ago I went to the ER after a few days previously having food poison like symptoms (pain in upper stomach area, nausea, vomiting, ect. The days that followed were pain in the upper stomach area that radiated to my back and bloating/nausea. At the ER they diagnosed me with GERD, sent me a prescription and sent me on my way.

Symptoms went away until a week or two ago. Again it started with that food poison like attack. The pain came as well. I went to a quick care and he suggested I get an ultrasound for gallstones. Despite having had an ultrasound at the ER.

The day before my ultrasound I had the food poison attack again. I went to the ER, he said that it was not stones and there was no point in getting another ultrasound but ordered a HIDA scan. Sent me home with prilosec, tramadol, and an anti-nausea.

I had the HIDA scan done and when they injected me with the stuff that causes gallbladder contractions, i instantly got sick and felt my symptoms.

Then I got the results of the HIDA scan. It was 99%. I have been told by two medical professionals that 99 is normal, but I have also been told by my research, friends, and one medical professional that they are doing research to say that anything above a certain % is bad.

I have an apt set up for a gastro.

I was wondering, if it's not gallbladder pain that I am experiencing, what else could it be?

Does anyone have any experience with Hyper/overactive gallbladders and surgery?

I am just completely confused at what is going on. I am almost always in pain and this is most certainly not a way to live my day to day life.

Update: I got bloodwork results from yesterday. They said everything was fine but the white blood cell count was a tad high. So my liver, pancreas, were all good and no H.Pylori.
This is why I don't like some doctors. I went to the gastro today and he saw me for less than five minutes, didn't ask anything, basically told me to get an Endoscopy and said nothing about how to keep the pain down. Argh.

That and I have to wait 2 weeks and 2 days to get the endoscopy... Argh.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.
Your symptoms could be due to GERD, (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach come up into the esophagus. Since medications don't seem to be helping much why don't you try life style measures? Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!