Incision Discharge after gallbladder removal
I had my gallbladder removed April 24, 2013, about a week and a half ago. Overall, I feel my recovery is slow but steady. However, last night, I noticed my belly button incision had a little white puffiness to it. This morning I took a q-tip to it to see if it was wet, firm, soft...etc and it seemed soft and had some give to it. I went to step into the shower a couple minutes later, and I noticed the white area had drained out. When I took the q-tip to it to wipe it away, it had a yellow tinge to it. It was not a large amount but I wonder is this normal, or cause for concern? The belly button incision is the most tender of all the 4 incisions, but I assume that is likely since its the one they actually pull the gallbladder out of.
I have no other symptoms that worry me: no fever, no increased pain.
Normal, or not? That is the question....
Thank you in advance
You are spot on. This is typically the most sore because it sees the most action and is generally the only one with a fascial suture. A little serous (clear yellow) drainage is not unusual and generally is of minor concern as long as the area is not red and inflamed around it.