Is gallbladder disease hereditary?
I have had several members in our family have to have their gallbladders out, is this a hereditary condition or is there something I can do to prevent this from happening to me?
It is definately hereditary... doesnt mean you will get it for sure, but the odds are higher.
Yes, my then-17yr old had hers out (3+ yrs ago) and her surgeon asked when mine was removed LOL .. the answer is that it should have come out 10yrs ago and I'm just waiting for the next gallbladder attack.  I have gallstones and have had biliary colic, too.  But, lately it's been all quiet (shhhhhh)

C~
My brother 3 months after my issues started (i didnt have stones just chronic inflammation) he had an attack and found out he has stones... he chose not to get his out yet...so far so good for him too.... i just hope he never gets a stone lodged in the duct as he has the little ones.  But made him live a much healthier lifestyle.
They say that gallstones can remain dormant and then one day if/when they shift watch out !
There used to be a detox that people would do and it would help your body remove or pass the stones naturally.  It was like an apple juice detox with olive oil.  I never knew if that was just an old wives tale or if there was truth to it.

Can you go get checked at the doctors to see if you have dormant gallstones?
If you have gallstones a ULtrasound usually will pick it up, there is also another test called HIDA scan which measures the function of your gallbladder.
When you say scans I am assuming these are like regular ultrasounds and cat scans?
Yes and then a HIDA scan which is specifically for gallbladder function.
I will be sure to ask about this at my next appointment.  Thanks so much for all the information!
I think it is.  They say what my daughter had I probably have too ... the next attack mine comes out for sure.  
Can you tell you have an attack?  Is it distinguishable from let's say heartburn or indigestion?
Yeah, you'll know. It will be a stomach ache accompanied by an out of left field fever and chills. Plus, your urine will turn the color of orange koolaid.
My sister had hers out about 10 yr's ago . I've been having attacks and thought it was bad gas pains . I know now I was wrong !  Mine is between the ribs and the pain go's around and up my back like someone's stabbing me , can't take a breath in . Gotten to point I can hardly eat anymore . And OHHHHHH my the acid reflux is terrible I can't even bend over . Not to mention the nausea .
my mom and dad and now daughter have had their gall bladder removed. It is obvious it runs in the family, can i get mine removed to dodge the possibility of getting stones?
the  ever present nausea puts me over top when pain gets so very bad.. doing blood work today to determine date for removal. I thought it was pancreas as I had that 25 almost yrs ago. tired of being sick and tired lol