Gallbladder Expert Forum
Is it my gall bladder or something else.

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

For the past 5 years, I have been on medication for ulcers or GERD.  Currently I am on dexilant 60 mg.  At the beginning of this summer, problems have become worse.  My symptoms following most meals, include bloating, pressure, slight pain mainly from bloating and burning in the upper area of the stomach. At least once or twice a week the discomfort is so great that I cannot eat for a day or two.  

Earlier in the summer I went to a new GI doctor who sent me for an endoscopy.  The results came back that there was no evidence of GERD/acid or Hiatal hernia.  I was told that they suspected that I have polyps in my gall bladder and was sent to a surgeon who recommended that I had a HIDA scan. The scan results came back normal although when the gall bladder contracted during the test, it replicated how I feel after most meals.

The surgeon recommended that I have the gall bladder out even though the results did not indicate a bad gall bladder. He told me that he was removed many gall bladders where the HIDA scan results were normal but symptoms were normal afterwards.  He did say that he would defer to my gastroenterologist for a decision.  When I went back to the GI doctor, he was puzzled as could not with confidence tell me that it was the gall bladder.  He told me that I could have the gall bladder removed and still have the same results.

He recommends that I treat this conservatively by first having a colonoscopy to rule out IBS.  He put me on Miralax since I was constipated.

I have scheduled the colonoscopy, but I do not beliieve it is IBS.  This past weekend I had another attack.

Any suggestions?  Please help.
Tags: Gall Baldder ?
I am entertained by the concept of having a colonoscopy to rule out IBS. Is there some finding that would tell them it is IBS?  (the answer is no). Why did they suspect that you might have polyps in the gallbladder? Was there something seen on the ultrasound? One has to realize that 93% of what are labeled as polyps are actually gallstones that are adherent to the gallbladder wall and would confirm an abnormal gallbladder.
You have typical biliary symptoms. Several studies have demonstrated that reproduction of symptoms during the HIDA wih  CCK is a more accurate predictor of those who will have benefit from gallbladder removal.

My opinion is that it is time to have your gallbladder removed.
I appreciate your response.  The polyps were first identified through an ultrasound. When the polyps were identified the doctor sent me for the HIDA scan.  When i had the HIDA scan it simulated how I feel almost overtime that I eat.  I appreciated it as then I knew the feeling was not GERD related and related to the gall bladder.

The surgeon was very professional although it was clear to me that he did not disagree with my GI doctor.  He told me that he has seen normal HIDA scans where the symptoms disappeared after the GB was removed.

It is gotten to the point that almost everything that I eat upsets my stomach, resulting in cramping, burning, belching, etc.  Last night (early) I ate a piece of chocolate cake, which kept me up all night.

Thanks for your advise.
See new thread started in this forum.