Gallbladder Community
Is it my gallbladder?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Is it my gallbladder?

I have been having symptoms for about a year now.  It all started with this pain in my upper middle chest, under breastbone that just wouldnt go away. It was a dull type of pain. I also developed severe bloating where I would look pregnant at times. Initially I was dx'ed with gastritits based on symptoms alone, and my family dr. put me on generic of Prilosec once daily.  After over a month, nothing changed, symptoms were still the same so he bumped me up to two a day. After about a week of taking it twice daily, my symptoms appeared to go away, but not for long.  After maybe a couple months they reappeared and worse than ever.  I have bloating now EVERYDAY and constantly.  The pain comes and goes depending on the day. Sometimes i get pain on my left side as well. Maybe due to the bloating?? No pain on the right side tho, just upper central and sometimes left side.  My dr. referred me on to a gastroenterologist.  I had an upper gi, ultrasound, and blood tests done, all were normal.  My gastro thought i had a slow emptying stomach so he dx'ed me with gastroparesis without any testing just based on my symptoms.  I am a type 1 diabetic and I think that made him believe thats what it was.  Well i was not convinced since I take care of my diabetes so i requested a gastric emptying study and it came back normal so he removed the diagnosis of gastroparesis.  I had also had a endoscope done as well with nothing showing up.  He next ordered me a CT scan and HIDA Scan, and blood test for gluten.  The gluten test came back negative and the CT scan came back clear.  The HIDA scan I had done took a while for my gallbladder to show up, about 60 minutes when I was told by the tech it should take anywhere between 20-45 minutes.  Is 60 minutes indication of something wrong?? I was later told by my gastro at my follow up that the radiologist who read the report said he couldnt read it???? Um, okay?? So my gastro was mad of course b/c we were left in the dark about the reports.  My gastro went ahead and gave me the antibiotic of Xifaxan (sp) to see if maybe it was a bacteria issue. I took it for 10 days with no help.  He now wants my HIDA scan redone (should be free of charge) since they screwed up my first one.  I have to wait though until after the holidays but am getting really frustrated with my symptoms.  It is interferring with my life and leaving me depressed! Do my symptoms sound like gallbladder or something else??? Again its just CONSTANT bloating, even when i wake up i am bloated.  It isnt as bad in morning since i havent eaten all night but i can still feel it and then throughout the day it gets progressively worse.  There isnt a day that goes by that I do not have this bloating. The pain seems to be around for days in a row then disappears for a few then comes back.  Mostly in the center.  I have tried to pinpoint certain foods but it doesnt seem to make a difference foodwise.  I also will note that I am still taking the prilosec b/c when I try to wean myself off of it, i get indigesion so that is also a symptom I have if not for the prilosec. Sorry this is so long just really wanting some hope.  At this point I am hoping it is my gallbladder. I am scared to have surgery but I want my life back and I want an answer.  life is hard enough with type 1 diabetes, but this makes it miserable! Anyone shed some light on this or have similar situation?? Thanks
i asked a questshion here myself..i will say a hidascan can take up to 2 hrs..if yours was 60 min then thats good.it dont matter if your gall b is good or bad takes the same images..a hida scan is not know difft than a mri,,only thing dift is the images,,were this shows inside out..all areas..i slso have the pain everywere..yes you say no matter what you eat same here..its odd when i walk im fine..when i get home back..but im like i,m not going to eat..well the gastric jucies are desined to break down food to digesrt..if its not there then tnat could be were are burring comes from..im on 40 mg prilosec too not any help for this..2 yrs on it..was on nexium..ther  all the same ppi,s..let me know if you had your taking out??? thanks
I have the same symptoms and gastro and My doctor both think it's gerd. I've tryed heart burn pills and was ok for a weak then everything slowly came back.. Bloating. Pains everywhere that were mainly after meals. Unable to move and wanting to throw up. In also last weight from not wanting and unable to eat. Meals cause bloating then I struggle to breath .. Do any of you guys struggle to breath after your meals?? Well ill be asking my doctor for testing..
First, a gallblader (gallbladder) that doesn't visualize util 60 miutes on HIDA is consistent with chronic cholecystitis. Second, I can't believe all he gussing and random diagnoses without any testing over a full year. You didn't mention CCK with the HIDA scan. You also didn't mention having an ultrasound. This is generally required before having a HIDA wth CCK to measure gallblader (gallbladder) function. Th CT scan is not sufficient to rule out gallstones as you could stop the evaluation is there were some found. GERD is alsoa possbility but is not diagnosed by some medication trial, a pH study is required.