Gallbladder Expert Forum
Is surgery necessary for me?

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Is surgery necessary for me?

Is there ever a possibility that someone can have biliary dyskinesia, with an ejection fraction of zero, and not require surgery? This is my personal situation, and I'm wondering if other options are available to me other than surgery. I have a only a few small gallstones, but a variety of longtime abdominal discomforts and a moderately fatty liver.
.
If you have been documented to have gallstones you never should have even had the HIDA with CCK. The chances are good that the ejection fraction was zero because the CCK forced a small stone into the cystic duct, obstructing it. The most lethal complications of gallbladder disease come from passing stones down the common bile duct. Statistically, your chances of an early death is significantly higher if you don't have it removed than if you do. That is the reason cholecystectomy is recommended in symptomatic patients. You may be fine but your chances are about one in three of landing in the ER with a complication and the mortality risk of waiting until then for treatment goes up about a hundred fold over the elective risk.
Thank you!
I decided to have the surgery on January 7th. Should I not wait that long given what you wrote about the small stone in the cystic duct?

Also, I read on the internet that I should be tested thoroughly for thyroid problems given my condition. Is that true and if so what tests should I have?