Might need gallbladder removed.
Hi. Im 44, normal weight, great health. 2 Weeks ago, had what doctors think was a gallstone. I ended up in ER, they DX Pancreatitis. (Pancreas was inflamed, as was Panc duct.)  Also, could not exclude Ischemic Colitis( I thought I had a blockage and really thought I was going to die). The pain was horrible.

Im better now. I do have alot of gallbladder sludge. Im eating better, I have fat in foods, but dont eat like I used too. Im not eating any fat laden foods though, fried, pizza,all that stuff. After I eat, I can feel my GB doing something, but Im not keeled over in pain, yet.

I am seeing a gastro next week. Im told by my GP he may want to do a colonoscopy to confirm the ct report of bowel wall thickening(I have no symptoms of colitis).

Should I request a HIDA scan? Honestly, I feel my GB is fine, except for sludge.

I am very tired though.

Im told that its best to remove GB by my GP, but I feel its so pre-emptive at this point.

I feel my hida scan would come out normal as I dont see to have the suffering going on that many folks do.

Can my GB be failing and Im just not having symptoms yet?

I have no stones in my GB now.

Any guidance, ideas, support will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cindi
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sludge in the gallbladder is formed from crystals and salts in excess bile. The gall bladder functions as a storage area for bile produced in the liver. This bile is then secreted into the intestines to aid digestion. When then the gall bladder malfunctions, there is stasis of bile and other crystals and salts get deposited forming sludge. This is prone for gallstone formation and sometimes infection. So, a HIDA scan can help to study the functioning of the gallbladder. And, based on symptoms and test results therapy is planned.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.