Gallbladder Expert Forum
Pain in upper right abdomen

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Pain in upper right abdomen

I have had pain in my upper right abdomen that comes and goes throughout the day for the last 3 months.  Sometimes the pain is acute. ER Dr. suspected gallbladder but all blood tests were normal and ultrasound was normal. Had a pos. H.pylori blood test so went on antibiotic treatment. Had an endoscopy which showed no abnormalities or ulcers. The baffling thing is this: the pain is very intense WHILE I am eating sweet things like pineapple or fruit juice etc. (and even, actually,especially, artificially sweetened gum). I am not talking about a few hours later I am talking right when I swallow. Any Dr. I have told this to has treated me like an idiot, and yes, I have found NOTHING in the entire www, but IT IS HAPPENING, IT IS THE TRUTH!  I cannot simply avoid certain foods as the pain is there regardless, it is just magnified when eating sweets. The ER dr. suspected shpincter of Oddi disorder (even though I have never had my gallbladder removed) but the surgeon he sent me to dismissed this on the basis of my normal blood tests. Please help. btw, I am 43yr female in otherwise excellent health and mostly vegan.
Can you be more specific about your tests? With a history sounding pretty typical for gallbladder disease I haven't heard anything about a HIDA with CCK even after being seen by a surgeon. Kind of hard to rule this out without a functional study.
by the way this is absolutely NOT HEARTBURN OR GERD!!! The pain is way over to the right side just under my ribcage and antacids or ppis have no effect. And I have experienced that before...this is nothing like it.
Thank-you for answering. I have only had blood tests done, not sure exactly which ones but for liver and pancreas function. The HIDA with CCK that you mention is what the ER Dr. told me the surgeon would do, but it turns out that he doesn't even do those tests. Also, both the surgeon and my family Dr. both believe that since my blood tests were normal then the HIDA test is not necessary. That is why I am here. Nothing more is being done but iI still have the problem. I was hoping that my symptom of pain when swallowing certain sweet foods would provide a clue as to what is going on, however it is only making my Dr. think I'm crazy (I suspect).