Gallbladder Community
Painful Hida Scan,Cholecystectomy

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Painful Hida Scan,Cholecystectomy

I had a Hida Scan on Wednesday, and when they injected me with the hormone, it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.  Then afterwards I asked the tech how I did, and he said" Ohh...not too bad, but the pain isn't normal".  So what does that mean?

And also if I have to have the gallbladder out, do I want open or laparscopic cholecystectomy?
I know lap. would be quicker and less painful, but I've heard that there is more room for error with that technique.

My worked out fine. I had one of the top surgeons in America. Check out the doc.
Pain and/or nausea at the time of CCK injection generally indicates your gallbladder isn't functioning properly.  Most surgeons perform the laparascopic procedure, unless there is some pressing reason to convert to the open procedure.  The open surgery takes several weeks to recover from, whereas the laparascopic surgery results in about 2 weeks recovery.

Also, technicians aren't supposed to give you any diagnostic advice because they are not doctors.  That's why patients have to wait until the radiologist, who is an MD, views the films and writes the reports.  The reports go to your doctor who will help interpret results and help you decide on treatment options.
My hida scan was very painful as well and the results were fine. It totally depends.
I'm scheduled to have a hida scan because I'm having gastric problems. So for the other test have shown gallbladder sluggish function and stones, and abnormal liver function test. Why do I need another expensive test, what is it going to show that they don't already know? Also what is done during the hida scan? I was just told to fast for 5-8 hours. That is why I'm online to find out more about the procedure.