Gallbladder Community
Possible Gallbladder issues- Prilosec

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Possible Gallbladder issues- Prilosec

About 2 months ago I had bad acid reflux.  I started taking Prilosec which helped a bunch.  Shortly after being on it, I started getting gallbladder pain.  I have had it since.  My Dr. did blood work and I got an ultra sound on my liver/ gallbladder.  Everything came back normal.  Yesterday, I stopped taking the prilosec to see if it was giving me gallbladder pain.  It seems better....not contracting pain.  I still have mild pain.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does the gallbladder pain subside or does this mean I have gallbladder issues not showing up on the ultra sound?
Thank you
i have the same thing. gerd and gall bladder test came back normal but i have both symptoms and pain and still trying to figure this out.. my right ribcage chest and shoulder hurt real back and i still have bitter taste and regurgitate after eaten. please let me know the outcome of yours...
I will!  I am still waiting for the referal to the GI Dr.  Are you having any other tests done?  How long have you had this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Unless the gallbladder is inflamed or obstructed it does not cause pain. Hope hepatitis has been ruled out, this can cause pain. Prilosec is unlikely to cause the pain. A HIDA scan can help to study the functioning of the gallbladder. The other causes for the pain could be infections of the bowel, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
This has been going on for 3 years,it started like i was having a heart attack, and i was rushed to the ER after all the test came back normal.I have chills,fever, lower back pain, no appetite, light headache, difficult breathing and right rib cage hurt no matter what i eat. It comes and go, and its really frustrating because now it has refused to go and i feel like crap 24/7. test for Gerd and gallbladder came back normal, just mild gastritis. Anytime i eat spicy or fatty food it always feels like i want to pass out Due to the pain.I dont have energy and lost interest in so many things and when i try to exercise, i get tired and gasp for air due to the chest pain or heartburn.
Wouldn't inflamation (inflammation) or obstruction of gallbladder show up on an ultra sound?  I did have a CBC with Diff, H-Pylori, Assay of Amylase, Assay of Lipase and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel...all normal!  I don't have fever, chills, diahrrea or nausea.  Just pain, bloating and gas after eating.  IF I don't eat I generaly don't have pain. I read on line ( not sure how accurate) that Prilosec could slow the function of the gallbladder down.  Also, since I have pretty much cut out fat in my diet, eating only chicken, veg, potatoes and fruit I have lost weight.  I am too thin, now.  I am scared that I might need my gallbladder out.  VERY fearful of anesthsia...I am a smoker.
well you dont really have a bad situation here.I would advice you do more research, since you dont have all this symptoms.Your case is more fair unlike me that have pain no matter what i eat, and if i stay too long to eat.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Ultrasounds and CT scans will help detect any abnormalities in the structure of the gall bladder. To study the functioning tests like HIDA scan need to be done. Gall bladder dysfunction can cause intolerance to fatty food. The HIDA scan w/ CCK provides two pieces of information. The first is how well the gallbladder is functioning by assessing it's response to CCK which is your body's signal for it to contract after you eat. The second is whether your symptoms are duplicated by inducing a gallbladder contraction. There is emerging data that suggests that the second is the most important to predict who would benefit from gallbladder removal. The good news is that if you experience your typical symptoms during the test you have probably found the problem. So, please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I can't take Prilosec .. it gives me a terribly dry mouth.  Maybe if ok with your Dr try another blocker such as Prevacid and see how that goes?  There is nothing worse than the GB pain you describe .. I have GB issues, too, and can relate.

I hope you feel better soon!

C~
What types of testing have you gone through?  Have you seen a specialist yet?  I have my 1st appointment with the GI Specialist on Mon.  I have read horror stories online about the HIDA Scan.  I hope you are feeling better.  Don't eat spicy foods.
My GB symptoms are clear cut textbook "attacks" so I 've never had anything other than an ultrasound which confirms I have stones.  I've had quite a few CT Scans for Kidney stones that have shown the GB stones, and have revealed the bile duct work is in excellent shape.  I've been asymptomatic for about 2yrs which is amazing,considering the attacks I've had in the past.  They never lasted longer than 45mins so I never ended up in the ER ... but next time OUT it comes.

My daughter at age 17 had a HIDA Scan and it revealed only 4% function .. she had classic signs but not stones and every other test was normal. She was in the hospital for 5 days before somebody suggested (her Pedi GI) a HIDA Scan!  Out it came and 5 yrs later she's fine.

I have a GI specialist .. they handle GB's along with a general surgeon I think.

Hope you feel better soon!

C~