Gallbladder Community
Possible biliary dyskinesia/rapid weight loss - Help!

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

All the signs now seem to be pointing to the possibility of biliary dyskinesia. Tomorrow is my HIDA scan. All of my symptoms are pretty awful, but I think the most disconcerting is the rapid and severe weight loss I've had in the last few weeks. I normally weigh 112 pounds, but now am around 98-100. I can't even look in the mirror without crying. I look like a skeleton. If biliary dyskinesia is dx'd and I have to have my gall bladder out, is there a chance that I will be able to get back to a normal weight?

For a long time my problem has been an inability to keep fat on my body. I am always below the normal body fat % when the dr checks me, although I can't remember the exact number. I eat loads and loads of healthy fats (or I did up until recently when the URQ pain started). But no amount of fat I ate ever made a difference in my body fat %. I am very scared and hoping someone here has been in this situation or knows someone who has been and everything worked out. The insufficient body fat has also caused me to stop having periods which is extremely disturbing as well. :(
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Gallbladder disorders can cause problems with digesting fat. As you are losing weight you could get screened for metabolic disorders like hyperthyroidism and diabetes. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment. If other conditions have been ruled out then it could be that you have an increased metabolic rate which could be preventing you from gaining weight. But usually skinny people have a genetic predisposition to like foods that are not fattening. You could start by keeping a diary and noting down the food you normally eat. Next slowly start increasing by say 500 calories per day. Maintain this for a week. Next increase by another 500 calories till you reach the desired weight. It is important that you substitute and eat healthy food like protein rich food. Also exercise helps build up muscle mass, so enroll in a good workout program. Good Luck with the scan.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.