Gallbladder Community
Questions for the surgeon

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Questions for the surgeon

My mom, age 74, has been to the ER three times in one week.  Her dr. was on vacation and  there was no one else  for her to see.  First ER visit they really did not tell my mom anything but prescribed an antibiotic.  Her next visit, they told her (ER) that she was having muscle spasms in her back and she was low in potassium.  Third visit to the ER, they told her that she had muscle spasms and her magnesium was low.  After her dr was back, her dr. told her that she wanted her to have a hida scan.  My mom told the dr that she ate Clam chowder and that started her problem.  My moms sister and everyone else has had gb problems and mom is convinced it is her gb.  After her hida scan, I asked the X ray tech what he thought, and he replied, "In my opinion, the gallbladder is working fine, its something else".  First of all, I am surprised he answered my question and then his answer startled me.  On Friday, mom goes to the surgeon with the hida scan results. What questions should we ask him?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Other than gall bladder disease. The common causes for the back pain could be infections/inflammations of the bowel, kidney disorders like pyeloneohritis, glomerulonephritis or renal colic. Others are pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometritis and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I would advise you to discuss these options with your doctor. He will ask for blood tests, urine analysis, an x ray and an ultra sonogram of the abdomen. Sometimes he may ask for an Intravenous pyelogram and a CT scan.  In the meantime ask her to take OTC Naproxen for pain relief and plenty of oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.