Gallbladder Community
Right rib pain (but test are normal)

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Right rib pain (but test are normal)

I been having this right rib cage pain for about 8 weeks now. Sometimes I feel pain in the upper right back and a little bit up the right chest.

5 weeks ago I went to the ER after waking up with back and stomach pain. The ultrasound test and bloodwork were both normal except for two small polyps 4-5 mm in size which my GI doctor and I have known about and we are just keeping an eye out.

I saw my GI doctor a week later who put me back on Dexilant for acid reflux and ordered me a HIDA scan. My HIDA scan came back normal at 64% down from 71% 1 1/2 years ago when I first had one. My doctor told me to take my medication and excerise to prevent muscle spams/strain.

Still the pain in my right rib persist. The pain isn't severe and I don't have nausea or vomiting after eating. I only had indigestion once in these last 8 weeks. The pain comes and goes throughout the day, even in the mornings before eating. Sometimes I fee like going to the ER so they can dx me with something but I'm sure they would just order another ultrasound, find nothing and send me home.

My stools are pretty normal I would say. I a lot more gas than normally and my BM's are between 1 - 3 per day.
Sorry, I had a upper GI endoscopy done two years ago due to stomach pains and all was normal.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Besides, peptic ulcer disease and GERD, disorders of the liver and colon could also cause pain. Kidney disorders too produce colicky and sharp pain. Sometimes anxiety with flatulence can cause this pain. If your blood test and ultrasonogram do not reveal anything you may have to go for a colonoscopy and urine analysis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.