Risks of Gallblader Removal
Hello!

I have 2 stones in my gallblader (1.3cm each one). I figured out them in a routine exams (asymptomatic). My doctor wants to removal my gallblader.

1) Even asymptomatic, is it a good idea to removal the gallblader?

2) I read somewhere in internet that gallblader surgery is a risk factor por Pancreatic Cancer. Does it make sense?

Thanks!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any structural abnormalities of the gall bladder like stones or polyps need surgical correction. The stones can chronically irritate the gall bladder wall and cause inflammation and pain. Also, this chronic irritation is a predisposing cause for gall bladder cancer. If the stone is placed in the neck of the gall bladder, it can cause retention of bile, with stasis and consequent infection. So, the best option would be to have an elective gall bladder removal.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I read somewhere in internet that gallblader (gallbladder) surgery is a risk factor por Pancreatic Cancer. Does it make sense?

Thanks!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

According to a study done, among 104,856 women and 48,928 men without cancer at baseline, they documented 349 cases of pancreatic cancer during up to 16 years of follow-up. Participants were classified according to a history of gallstones or cholecystectomy. However, adjustment for other pancreatic cancer risk factors attenuated the association. So, Gallstones or cholecystectomy do not appear to be significant risk factors for pancreatic cancer.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.