Gallbladder Expert Forum
Risks of HIDA CCK scan with gallstones

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Risks of HIDA CCK scan with gallstones

I recently read in one of Dr. Watters' posts that there are serious risks involved with a HIDA/CCK scan if gallstones are present in the gallbladder, especially if they are small.  My husband is scheduled for the HIDA/CCK scan first thing tomorrow morning, but an ultrasound done earlier this week showed what might be two small gallstones, though it looks like they MIGHT NOT be calcified.  The GI Dr. said they could also be polyps.  Based on what Dr Watters wrote, I'm extremely concerned that we should not proceed with this test.  My husband did ask the Dr. whether there were risks should the stones dislodge during the test, and the doctor said no, that wouldn't be a problem.  Could it the particulars of what was seen on the ultrasound really not be cause for concern????  Thank you in advance!  
1 Comment
Most radiologists require a negative ultrasound within six months before administering CCK for a HIDA. There are risks of forcing a stone down the bile duct if stones are present.

I am not sure why they think that it is important to determine whether what they are seeing are polyps or adherent stones. Studies have shown that 93% of these are actually gallstones that are stuck to the wall of the gallbladder and don't move when the patient is rolled around during the ultrasound test. If he is asymptomatic either one would be followed as the only indication for surgery would be if the "polyp" was larger than 10-12mm. If he is having biliary type symptoms then all you need is confirmation that there is an abnormality of the gallbladder to indicate cholecystectomy. If he has pain consistent with gallbladder disease you already have enough to go on without the HIDA with CCK.