Gallbladder Community
SCARRING

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

SCARRING

HI, early last year I had my gallbladder/stones removed, I was left with 4 scars, all but one has faded the main big one just under my rib cage has not its still very red and itches. The doctor has never checked them not even after straight after my op.Is there anything I could use to help it heal and fade away??,  I'd be grateful for any help.
Hi There,

Like you, I had my gallbladder removed....nearly 2 years ago now....and the top incision just under my sternum is very red and raised - what I'd call a keloid scar (also the largest one on my bellybutton is too)

I would try not to panic as it might just be the way you heal, it's very common. If in doubt keep it moisturised with some good vitamin cream.

Hi There,

Thank you I shall try that. Does  your scars ever itch? Mine does the main one thats red. But as the old saying goes if its itching its a sign of getting better.
Yes, sometimes as it healed it was itchy.....a good sign of healing :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be a Keloid, but this is diagnosed by your doctor.

Keloid is a scar in which there is extreme overgrowth of scar tissue that grows beyond the limits of original wound and shows no tendency to resolve. They are usually found to be familial (running in families).

Surgical treatment is only met with recurrence. Some keloid scars will improve with pressure or intralesional injections of steroids such as triamcinolone. The best cure rates are achieved with a combination of surgery and post-operative interstitial radiotherapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.