Gallbladder Community
Severe Burning Sensation, possibly due to Gallbladder removal

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

This is the first time I'm using one of these forums and am praying someone will reply and be able to help.  In February, I had my gallbladder removed and wound up back in the ER (as per my surgeon) as I was in severe pain from the surgery.  I was ALSO having an intense burning pain (felt like fire) about 3 inches up from my belly button and almost all the way up.  Now, I know this isn't heartburn or GERD, b/c I have GERD and this was a pain like I've never felt before.  When I was in the ER, the nurse gave me morphine which "seemed" to exacerbate it and made this excruciating pain last for 3 hours.  After it finally went away, I chalked it up to a pain associated with just having surgery.  Well, I have continued to get this pain since February, however, not nearly as intense (don't get me wrong, it is still extremely painful) and not for as long.  It happens now between 2 to 5 times a week for between 30 seconds to 4 minutes.  In August, I had to go for an outpatient test with a barium xray (for something unrelated) and while in there, the nurse gave me morphine again (without asking me if I wanted it).  Once I had the morphine, I got the horrible pain again, the same as I did the first time right after my Gallbladder surgery.  It was SO intense that I couldn't catch my breath and again felt like something was on fire inside.  This time it lasted for four hours.  I can not take this pain anymore.......it is the most awful thing I believe anyone could ever feel and every time I get the little "twinges" of it that last a few minutes, I get so nervous that it's going to get more intense and last a few hours that I have to take Xanax.  A little background on me also, I have Gastroparesis, which is under control with medication and also have GERD, which is under control w/antacids.  I have had every test under the sun.....HIDA Scan, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Barium Xray and probably more that I'm not even aware of.  I regularly visit my GI doctor, as well as my GP.  I should also mention that I have NEVER had this pain prior to my gallbladder surgery.  PLEASE, if anyone could give me insight, I would very much appreciate it!!  I am 34 years old and have been putting off trying to get pregnant b/c I'm SO afraid of this pain coming back.  I thank you for reading this and for any insight!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The most common reason for recurrent pain soon after gallbladder surgery is sludge or stones that have passed down the main bile duct. This is typically evaluated by repeating your liver function tests and obtaining a MRCP - a specialized version of a MRI which does not give you any radiation exposure. Your surgeon needs to know about your symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.