Gallbladder Community
Should gallbladder be removed for a 5x5x6 polyp?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

I have a 5x5x6mm polyp and doc wants to remove the gallbladder. Lots of reads say no need to unless it's 10cm or more which is a bit larger than mine. Should I wait and do ultrasounds to watch for change or have it removed. My doc says 5mm or greater should be of concern and 4mm or less should be monitored. HELP!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The concern for the size of polps is to see if they are cancerous or not. Polyps greater than 10mm are considered to be at risk for cancer, though this is rare. Hence surgical removal is advised for polyps greater than 10mm. But for smaller sized polyps if they are accompanied by gall stones, then cholecystectomy is advised.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.