Gallbladder Community
Sludge in Gallbladder

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Sludge in Gallbladder

Hi I have had a scan done the last couple of weeks because of recurring pain under right ribs, nausea, pain in shoulder etc etc and the lady who performed the scan said I have sludge in my gallbladder. does that mean I am going to develop gallstones and should I consider having my gallbladder out as I'm in agony all the time every day with it.

Thank you.
UPDATE: Went to doctor's Friday and he has referred me to a specialist with the recommendation of having my gall bladder out.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Sludge in the gallbladder is formed from crystals and salts in excess bile. The gall bladder functions as a storage area for bile produced in the liver. This bile is then secreted into the intestines to aid digestion. When then the gall bladder malfunctions, there is stasis of bile and other crystals and salts get deposited forming sludge. This is prone for gall stone formation and sometimes infection. So, based on symptoms therapy is planned.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.