Gallbladder Community
Sluggish Gallbladder

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Sluggish Gallbladder

I learned very recently that I have a sluggish gallbladder. It causes severe bloating and sometimes pain. In addition to diet, what over-the-counter remedies will relieve the discomfort? I have heard about some things that are supposed to help - apple cider vinegar - apple juice - milk thistle - digestive enzymes - bromelain. Does anyone have experience with these items? I am already using simethicone.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As definitive studies have not been done with these products, it is difficult to predict the clinical improvement with these products. Sludge in the gallbladder is formed from crystals and salts in excess bile. The gall bladder functions as a storage area for bile produced in the liver. This bile is then secreted into the intestines to aid digestion. When then the gall bladder malfunctions, there is stasis of bile and other crystals and salts get deposited forming sludge. This is prone for gall stone formation and sometimes infection. So, based on symptoms therapy is planned.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
You might be interested to know that when I was treated for hypottyroidism the gallbladder problem resolved itself (or almost has). My doctor said the association of sluggish gallbladder and sluggish thyroid was not uncommon.
In reference to the natural treatments I mentioned above, I tried them all. There were no side effects from any of them. The vinegar aborted the discomfort that always followed eating and the bromelain eased the bloating.
Your posts are very interesting based on your experience ... my GB problems started out as sluggish while pregnant, etc. then have moved on to stones. However, I'm in full remission for about 2 yrs now ... I will keep your ideas handy!

C~
My grandmother developed gallbladder trouble and my uncle, who was a doctor, did not want to operate because she was old and had a weak heart. Instead he tried what he called an "old remedy." (this was in the 1950's when they were yanking out gallbladders wholesale.) She had to take a couple of spoons of heavy cream every two hour4s and started the day off with one raw egg yolk. This was to force the gallbladder to work. I follow this regimen, leaving out the egg yolk. At this stage the only other thing I do is take bromelain. I am pain free. My doctor is in favor of forcing the gallbladder to work and gives my long-dead uncle a thumbs up.