Gallbladder Community
Sphincter of Oddi Disfunction Botox Treatment?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

My aunt was telling me about how her doctor told her about a possible treatment where they use a scope and inject botox in the sphincter.  Apparently the guy who received this had like 10 years free from pain.. have any of you heard about this or had it?  I'm seriously thinking about it but I need to hear your opinions about it before I even think of looking into this.  I've been suffering from SOD since about 2008 so I'm in need for some relief for a bit.
Hiya

I am symptomatic of sphincter of oddi dysfunction too! I am chasing for a firm diagnosis and treatment, as it is a complicated and rare condition (apparently)

I have heard of this treatment and know a few people who have had it done. The effectiveness of this treatment and how long it lasts varies from person to person.

I know that it carries a much lower risk of pancreatitis than a sphincterotomy, but also repeated injections will be needed as they are not permanent.

I hope that this helps

Sarsi
Thanks that helped a lot actually.  I did some research on it last night and it really does vary from person to person.  If I can get a month of relief than I'll take it because for years I've been suffering from this pain and it's getting to the point where I don't move because I don't want to upset it again.

Yeah doctors had no idea what it was when I first started showing symptoms again after I had my gall bladder out.  My mom actually looked up it up online and she found SOD.  We showed it to the doctor and he completely agreed that it fit perfectly with everything I was going through.

- Sam
Well Im glad I could help :)

I wish my doctors jumped and said "Hey! That's what you sound like!" but no, I have met with "I don't even know if this condition is real!" Whatever!

I am heading to see a specialist interstate from where I live in a couple of weeks to have an ERCP with sphincterotomy......so hopefully will give some relief!

Good luck Sam