Gallbladder Community
Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction brought on by pain meds and might have to...

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction brought on by pain meds and might have to have a c-section....HELP!

I am hoping someone can lend some good advice regarding sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  I had to have my gall bladder removed in February of 2007 after the birth of my son.  After the surgery, anytime I had to take an opiate based pain medication or even an over-the-counter cough syrup, I would get horrible pain attacks (they were even worse than the gall bladder pain!).  After ruling out other things, I was recently diagnosed with SOD.  For the most part, I have been able to avoid a pain attack simply by not taking these types of medications.  I sometimes get a milder attack after a very rich meal, but my severe pain attacks only seem to occur with the pain meds.  
Here is where I need help:  I am currently 6 1/2 months pregnant and since I had a c-section with my first child, I have a high chance of having one with my 2nd.  I remember how painful the first one was and I am terrified about managing my pain if I have to have another c-section.  I can't imagine having a pain attack after a c-section!  I know I'm going to have to have other surgeries as I get older too and I need to know what people like me do!  Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone been in a similar situation?  My OB is considering an extended epidural, but this will prolong my recovery and I was hoping there might be another option too.
Also, does anyone know of a specialist in the Los Angeles area?
Thank you for any advice!!!  

This discussion is related to sphincter of oddi dysfunction.
Personally, I've been diagnosed with a mild form of SOD.  I've never heard of it being brought on upon by use of narcotics.  However, I have been told and have read articles on how pain medication can actually cause pain.  How well do NSAIDs work?  Have you ever tried high doses of Acetaminophen?  I've read articles on how some people were allergic or tolerant of Narcotics and yet were able to cope through recovery with medications without opiates.   Just a suggestion!

-HJ-K
Thanks for responding.  I always was able to tolerate narcotic pain meds before the gall bladder surgery and all of my attacks only occured when I was prescribed pain meds (like codeine in cough syrup or vicodin after a surgery).  I can tolerate Acetaminophen, but unfortunately that won't do it after a c-section!
From what the doctor who diagnosed me said, opiate based pain meds can cause SOD in some patients (in particular those who had their gall bladder removed).  
Hopefully someone out there has this same thing and can suggest something!
Thanks again for responding!

Liz
Liz, you are correct when you say some opiate-based meds trigger pain in the biliary system. For whatever reason, narcotics tend to raise the pressure in the common bile duct and this will 'trigger' horrible pain and spasms in some with SOD. There used to be a board - don't know if it's still active - on yahoo that dealt specifically with SOD. Why not check over there and see if it's still active, or if it's still listed and you might find some information on the subject.
I've had the same issue since my laproscopic gallbladder surgery.  Only thing that ever triggers the SOD is opiate based pain meds and when it does, the pain is powerful.   How did you make out and what did you learn?

If you can, I would appreciate knowing.

Jim

I am a nurse, and want to offer a couple of suggestions.  I've read of people who couldn't use anesthesia who used hypnosis for surgery.  This is not the cluck like a chicken, bark like a dog thing, but modern hypnotherapy.  You would need to find a practioner well ahead of time to find out if you are a good candidate.   (Some people are more suggestable than others.) It may take several sessions for you to "practice" the techniques. You should also speak with an anesthesiologist before you are due , to discuss your options.  Your OB can put you in touch with one.  Good luck with your delivery
Lin