Gallbladder Expert Forum
Spontaneous improvement of fatty liver?

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Spontaneous improvement of fatty liver?

I suffer with fatty liver (NASH) with Cholelithiasis and I adopted total vegetable based diet, For the past few months I've not noticed such pain in my liver region like I had before, what are the chances that my liver might have healed significantly? since my surgery has been postponed because of high blood-cholesterol levels, doctors are asking me to first reduce the the triglyceride and other fats in blood before going for surgery...I don't have recommendations for an ultrasound anytime soon so I'm just presuming about this improvement..
You have to realize that the symptoms from gallbladder disease way wax and wane significantly over time. The low fat diet may well reduce the fat contained in liver cells though. Hepatic steatosis, which is the precurse of NASH, can be rduced quite a bit with decreased dietary fat. In studies, over half of the patients undergoing gallbladder surgery have at least hepatic steatosis on biopsy. There is no reason to repeat the ultrasound as the gallbladder still needs to be removed regardless of the status of the liver.