Gallbladder Community
Stones after surgery and inflamed sternum

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Hi, I have two questions. First, does anyone know how gall stones are supposed to from again once you have your gall badder out?

Next, has anyone in this forum who has had gall stones and bilary colic get these weird symptoms before an attack..swelling on sternum bone and on right and left rib?

I had these symptoms 4 years ago before my surgery. Recently, this symptom has returned but I have no clue why. I wonder if stones somehow returning could cause this, or is its a coincedence cuz 4 years ago I had started a desk job and that's when the swelling started. Recently I have been sitting longer. So I am wondering if my sypmtoms are coincedence or linked to a gall stone issue. Thanks.

I am not sure about the swelling so can't help with that, but I do know that gallstones can still form in the liver itself.....most of them are small enough to just pass straight through into your duodenum.....but of course, large ones, like before when you had your gallbladder can still get stuck in the ducts!

I hope you can find some answers

Sarsi
Hi boogiefly I know only too well from experience what you have.  Ive had my gallbladder out also.  Before the gallbladder attacks I had some severe rib pain and swelling,it turned out to be Costochondritis,you can look it up. It came back recently and I had to spend a night in the hospital getting my heart checked!  Its proberly what you have it does go away but I don,t know if its related to the gallbladder.  You could ask for another ultrasound scan to see if any more stones have formed. I have been left with painful gastritis in my stomach.  I don,t know if I have any more stones or not but I may get a scan.  The gastro hasn,t found a cause for my gastritis so did suggest a scan.  I know they can still form in liver I think I looked it up once.
I was just going to say the same thing as JulesA....

I just read some information about Costochondritis too and it made me think of you! There is a sub-syndrome called Tietz Syndrome.....if you google this I think you should find some information......I hope you can get some answers and treatment to help :)
Thanks for th info Sarsi and JulesA. I did read about that condition and just wonder if the stones have to do with it. Not sure why ot would. I ate something that didn't agree with me and was dry heaving pretty hard and I am wondering if the swelling happened due to that, or if I am having stones form. I haven't had this problem, or any problems in the last 4 years after I have had it removed. I'm kind of scared because I really don't want to feel the pain from bilary colic I had before. Its terrible.
Hi was your costocondritis right before each of your attacks? Or was it just sometime before you had them?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain may not be related to gall stones. If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. But when in doubt always best to have it checked. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.