Gallbladder Expert Forum
Surgery or not

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Surgery or not

My mother is 88 with sever cardiac issues. She was in the hospital for abdominal pain; they diagnosed her with infection of gallbladder. They placed a drain into her gallbladder and she was doing much better. They feel that she is not a candidate for surgery; we have gotten mixed information to whether we should leave the drain in indefinitely, or take it out. Can you offer any suggestions or information we can look into further?  Thanks..
If there is any consideration for removing the drain one needs to prove that the cystic duct is open. This is done by infusing contrast into the drain under fluoroscopy. I have never heard of leaving a percutaneously placed gallbladder drain in indefinitely. These are not designed for long term use and would occlude, needing replacement every 4-8 weeks.