Gallbladder Expert Forum
URQ sharp stab pain and rt rib pain/shoulder pain

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Two days ago I started experiencing what I can only describe as a sharp stabbing pain that randomly comes and goes either in my right side ribs or under my right shoulder blade.  I thought it at first to be trapped gas but this feels different.  I have no other symptoms, no fever, chills, no elevated heart rate or bp.  I do suffer from GERD and take 40mg of prilosec and 150 mg of Zantac as needed up to 2xs daily.  I do have trapped gas in my chest a good bit and use gas-x for it.  I did have upper gi series that came back unremarkable outside of fatty liver.  Blood work was normal outside of slightly elevated ast/alt, hep was negative.  

My question is two fold.....could this just be a gallbladder attack and if so will it pass on its own?  Thanks for your time and insight.
Your gallbladder should be evaluated. I don't understand your testing however as there would be no way to comment about your liver from an UGI series.
any feedback would be appreciated!
Of course you need to invesigate the possibility of anything internal, like gallbladder, but there is also the possibilty of intercostal neuralgia...you might want to look that up.  There is an excellent video on youtube, for some reason I can't add the link but it is titled "Intercostal Neuralgia" by a Dr, screenname "Majid Ali". Hope this helps.