Gallbladder Community
Undiagnosed Chronic URQ Pain, Sphincter of Oddi Disfunction

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

In  7/2011, I had pressure in my chest. I was sent to a cardiologist. I had a normal stress test, nuclear imaging test, and echocardiogram. In August 2011, I had pain in my chest and went to the ER. My EKG was normal and I was admitted for more testing. I had an MRCP, nuclear imaging studies, another echocardiogram, and a heart catheterization. I had sludge in my gallbladder but the other tests came back fine. The very next week, I had my gallbladder removed.

After I had my gallbladder out, I still had pain. I got spikes of pain that sent me back to the ER repeatedly.  In late 2011, I was sent to a GI doctor who did a colonoscopy. It was normal. In early 2012, I had some labs come back abnormal, so I went to the Biliary Clinic at Duke. They did an ERCP in April 2012.  After my ERCP, my pain was constant.  I still had recurrent flareups that sent me to the ER.  The doctors at the ER got tired of seeing me and told me to go to a pain clinic and stop coming to the ER.

I went to the Pain Clinic at Duke in 9/2012 who checked for pinched nerves; I didn’t have any. I was given a TENS unit and put on Tramadol. It only sort of helped. I still had pain every minute of every day.  I still had to go to the ER, but I went less frequently because I knew they didn't want me there.  

On 3/15/13, my pain changed, so I went back to the Biliary Clinic at Duke.  I was sent to have a trigger point injection.  It didn’t last so I had another MRCP at Duke and was told again that it’s normal.

I’m in serious pain 24/7 and I’ll do almost anything at this point.  I know that my body runs at a different level of normal than other people.  Normal levels for others are high levels for me.  I know my body better than anyone else and I need someone who’ll listen.

I know there’s something wrong because I can feel it.  This pain is ruining my life and I need help.  I need answers.  Please help me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Do you have jaundice with the episodes of pain? Sphincter of Oddi Disease or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is a rare condition. It can cause an obstruction in the common bile duct and consequent symptoms of abdominal pain and jaundice. SOD is divided into three categories depending on other factors such as dilation of the common bile duct and documentation of abnormal liver function tests associated with the painful episodes.  You will notice that other reasons for the pain must first be excluded. This typically requires upper endoscopy, imaging such as a CT and/or MRCP to start. Your GI doc will first focus on the other possibilities and attempt to exclude them before a diagnosis of SOD could be made.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Maybe you didn't read my full comment.  I've had upper endoscopy, CTs, MRCPs, and an ERCP.  I've officially been diagnosed with SOD already.  The problem is that I still get the pain and nobody knows why or how to fix it, which is the reason I posted here.
You may want to try our Ask an Expert, too:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gallbladder/show/1404

Christopher R Watters, MD
Duke University Medical Cent

Keep us posted.  Hope you can find an answer.

C~
Oh, I see you went to Duke ... do you know Dr. Watters?
No, I do not.  But if he thinks he can help, I'd be happy to go see him.
I have also posted this in the Ask an Expert forum.
I'm so glad you were able to post to the expert doctor!

Keep us posted!!!

C~
You may want to check this link......what causes pain
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chest-pain/DS00016/DSECTION=causes.
You can visit matyor clinic.