Gallbladder Community
Weight Loss Before And After Appendix Removal

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Hi all,let me tell you all my story.For the past 12-16 months i and others have noticed dramatic weight loss in me.I didnt have any pain and was eating very well and didnt really understand the reason.I have a fast metabolism so i just put it down to that.Then around 3 weeks ago i had severe pain in my stomach and was rushed to ER with a ruptured appendix.I had to get open surgery because of the severity of the rupture.I also then had complications with my small intestine as it became lazy after the operation.The doctors said if i had of waited any longer to come in i could have easily died and that it was one of the worst cases they had seen.Anyway 3 weeks on and im feeling a bit better but still having some digestive issues.I cannot seem to put weight on even though i am eating a lot and healthy nutritious foods.I have lost 4-5 lb since operation and around 15 lb pre operation.I would have thought i would be gaining weight by this stage.By the way im a 28 yr old male currently weighing 147 lbs and 6ft 1.
So if anybody that has gone through a similar experience or could shed some light on this topic i would be extremely grateful as im beginning to worry now that it could be something more serious.Im hoping this could be just normal and that i will start to gain weight over the next few weeks.
Thank you for taking time to read and any advice would be much appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But it will take time for you to recover from the surgery and the infection that could have been there preoperatively. Also, as the post op inflammation completely subsides, you appetite will return and you should gain weight. Just ensure to take a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your response Anitha
I have just returned from a 5 day stay in hospital where i was diagnosed with SBO( small bowel obstruction).This pain was far more severe than the initial appendix pain.The surgeon said it was due to adhesions from the surgery.It is a partially obstructed small intestine.I was told it is common enough and they treated me with IV antibiotics and gastro tubes to combat it.The cramps still come and go and by all accounts i most probably will end up back in hospital in another few weeks with the same problem.So now im just wondering has anyone else gone through the same situation im in now and if you have any advice it would be much appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

With your symptoms of loss of appetite, loss of weight and intestinal obstruction another possibility I can think of is Tuberculosis. As you had loss of weight prior to surgery also. Tuberculosis can cause an evening rise of temperature and increased sweating. This also causes a loss of appetite; as such this is accompanied by weight loss. This can also cause an intestinal obstruction. So, record your temperatures, on a two hourly basis to detect an evening rise of temperature.  Please check with your doctor to rule out this condition.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
How did this all turn out?  I'm was 143lbs, 5'8" 43yrs and i lost 13lbs in the last 8 mos and i'm down to 130lbs.  the docs can't figure out why but i'm starting to have pains around my appendix.  i'm probably going to need my appendix removed soon.  please clarify if you ended up gaining back the weight after surgery.