Gallbladder Community
Weight gain after gallbladder removal

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Weight gain after gallbladder removal

Hello, I've been reading posts similar to my own complaints. 2 years ago I was in great physical condition, not an ounce overweight, but I had gallstones and as a result elected to have my gallbladder removed. Dumb, dumb, dumb! I did not even think to look up the after-effects of this surgery. Today I would happily take my gallstones and gallbladder back if I could just lose the 20+ pounds I have gained since the surgery. And the constipation as well! It is a nightmare. I think it is reprehensible that not one doctor suggested weight gain and constipation as a possible side effect of this surgery. From what I understand, I can supplement my diet with bile salts. I eat a very healthy diet, a Mediterranean diet with lots of fish, spinach, fresh fruits and veggies, and still I am packing on the pounds as if I ate nothing but sweets and carbs every day. I am SO UPSET. My work is physically vigorous and demanding. I am a horse trainer and in the course of one day I walk at least 5 miles, eat barely a thing apart from oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and yogurt for lunch, and a sensible dinner of fish/chicken, salad, and rice. I do NOT overeat. I would be so grateful to speak with anyone who shares my symptoms. Thank you to anyone who has read my post.

This discussion is related to Why do I keep gaining weight after gallbladder removal?.
me too i have gained 45 pounds since my gallbladder was removed two years ago, i havent been checked for thyroid diease but i have been told that the reason for my weight gain is because our gallbladder is used to breakdown the bile but since we dont have it anymore there isnt anything to help breakdown the bile and some how it doesnt let us lose weight fast enough. after my surgery i was told by my doctor that i may have trouble losing weight i just want answers
Don't believe the Doctors, they just want to make money from you and your insurance.  Find a Doctor who will help you disolve the stones or help you find a dietician that specializes in gallblader (gallbladder) removal.  Espeiallly eating and keeping your weight on not lose it or make your life a living hell. Like Dr Parel did in macon, Ga  he will make your life miserable.   An inexperience Doctor like him should be removed from the medical profession. They need to start checking on doctors like Dr. Parel. Macon, GA.