Gallbladder Community
Weight gain after gallbladder removal
About This Community:

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weight gain after gallbladder removal

Hello, I've been reading posts similar to my own complaints. 2 years ago I was in great physical condition, not an ounce overweight, but I had gallstones and as a result elected to have my gallbladder removed. Dumb, dumb, dumb! I did not even think to look up the after-effects of this surgery. Today I would happily take my gallstones and gallbladder back if I could just lose the 20+ pounds I have gained since the surgery. And the constipation as well! It is a nightmare. I think it is reprehensible that not one doctor suggested weight gain and constipation as a possible side effect of this surgery. From what I understand, I can supplement my diet with bile salts. I eat a very healthy diet, a Mediterranean diet with lots of fish, spinach, fresh fruits and veggies, and still I am packing on the pounds as if I ate nothing but sweets and carbs every day. I am SO UPSET. My work is physically vigorous and demanding. I am a horse trainer and in the course of one day I walk at least 5 miles, eat barely a thing apart from oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and yogurt for lunch, and a sensible dinner of fish/chicken, salad, and rice. I do NOT overeat. I would be so grateful to speak with anyone who shares my symptoms. Thank you to anyone who has read my post.

This discussion is related to Why do I keep gaining weight after gallbladder removal?.