Gallbladder Community
Weight problems

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Weight problems

Hi there,

After having my gallbladder removed 4 years ago I have had soo many problems with gaining weight. Also lots of stomach cramps and upset tummy. Looking for some kind of help with loosing my weight again as it makes me sad and depressed.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Gall bladder removal is likely to cause fatty food intolerance. It however is unlikely to cause weight gain. To lose weight you have to either cut down the calories in your diet or increase the loss of calories through exercise. However, unintentional weight gain can occur with hypothyroidism, diabetes, certain medications, polycystic ovarian disease, poor eating habits, lack of exercise and a familial tendency. Discuss these options with your doctor.

In the meantime, try not to eat all deep fried and high calorie food and replace with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. You can develop habits that will enable you to lose weight like eat a carrot before your meals, this will ensure that you eat less and is also healthy. So develop your own style which is comfortable to you and keep at it.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.