Gallbladder Community
What Causes a Weak or Lazy Gallbladder?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

What Causes a Weak or Lazy Gallbladder?

I just got the results back from my HIDA/CCK: Gallbladder function is at 19%. Doc says he recommends taking it out, I'm going to try a few alternatives (including weight loss and acupuncture, which he says might help some) before I agree to discard an organ.

My question is this: What are the possible causes of a weak or lazy gallbladder? It seems all the information I find on the Web relates to gallstones and other gallbladder diseases, and that there's very little information on the root cause of gallbladder malfunction. Is it hereditary? Is it related to a malfunction in either the vagus or the celiac ganglia? (I've had a "numb spot" and spasmed muscle on my back for years now and feel it may be related. Chiropractor says it's caused by rather profuse and longstanding subluxations in that particular area of the back, which happens to be right around the same area as my gallbladder: mid/upper/right back.)

I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who's had a similar situation (lazy or weak gallbladder function) and to see what you did, how you approached it. Any information is most appreciated.

Stats: Male, 28, 254 lbs (6'1).
There's little-to-no information on this because it really hasn't been studied. Most docs and researchers consider the GB expendable and they wouldn't be able to get the funding to study it. In addition, trying to find a way to study this (inside a person???) might be a bit problematic. The minute the darned organ started to act up, the 'research subjects' would jump ship and swim for the nearest surgeon.

Since it's a 'garbage' organ, it's easier to pull it than to figure out why something goes wrong.

There are a few studies, however that suggest some may have either an autoimmune response that causes problems, or bacteria may migrate up the CBD from the duodenum and start a low-grade infection process that, over time, may damage the GB wall.

IMO, the only reason the GB may get a bit more recognition and study is due to the increasing numbers of post-surgical problems that are found in the no-stones/low EF gallbladder.
try taking A F Beta food. Its supposed to thin the bile and make it easier to pass through the liver and gall bladder
If you don't mind my asking, where would I be able to find some of those studies? This is the first I've heard of... well, anything about the gallbladder that didn't involve gallstones. Both the autoimmune disorder and the infection are a bit disconcerting.
Don't get the gallbladder removed if you can avoid it.
Have you tried gallbladder/liver flushes?

I have had many a problem with my gallbladder although have cleared it of all stones..I've been highly recommended to take something called beta tcp, it hasn't arrived yet but you might want to check it out,

http://www.revital.co.uk/Biotics_Research_Beta_TCP

Hope this helps

People that eat low fat diets are not allowing the gall bladder to exercise its muscles and the ladder gets weak. You are suposse to eat a normal amount of fats. Esercise your gall bladder by eating more saturated fats.
Seriously GET A SECOND OPINION ....

My daughter is 8 - and had hers removed....She now suffers with CHRONIC NAUSEA and Runny Stools......... (ontop of that she has a hiatis hernia)

But with regards to GALL BLADDER - Seek a Second or Third Opinion
First off the gallbladder is no "garbage organ"!!  When our body is in a fasting the gallbladder functions to concentrate bile so there can be more effective fat breakdown after a meal.  Without your gallbladder there is no concentrated bile to be released after meals so fat cannot be absorbed as readily.  This may not seem like a bad thing bud malabsorption of fat is associated with deficiencies in fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E&K), essential fatty acids, hormone dysfunction (assoc. with thyroid gland) and a number of other potential issues further down the GI tract.  SO!!! The gallbladder is very important!

As most of your probably know from your research online most gallbladder issues are a result of cholesterol precipitating out of bile which forms gallstones.  This is kind of the typical sedentary, overweight adult you'd expect to have these issues.

On the other hand theres biliary dyskinesia which is any type of gallbladder dysfunction without gallstones.  Typically its believed that these types of conditions are caused by stress, chronic inflammation, dysfunction of smooth muscle of the gallbladder or the Sphincter of Oddi which controls bile release into the gut.  While these things occur with a lazy gallbladder deeper underlying conditions like thyroid conditions (hypothyroidism), hormone imbalances (estrogen dominance), insensitivities (celiac disease) and other genetic conditions could be the cause.

Its a daunting task to try and nail down what exactly could cause this condition especially since it is a minority of all gallbladder issues.

Most importantly I would encourage anyone considering a gallbladder removal to exhaust all other options first.  All though you remove the gallbladder you are NOT removing the underlying issue!!  Consult a chiropractor, naturopath or any other holistic medical professional, these are the type of people who will help you find what REALLY going on.