Gallbladder Community
abnormal lab results found incidentally

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

abnormal lab results found incidentally

I am a 26 year old male. A smoker but do not drink.
I was complaining of intermittent abdominal distention and some cramps over a period of few months, then I decided to do some lab investigations to check on myself. I had a liver function test and abdominal Ultrasound. Here are the abnormal findings:
- Liver function is normal except for ALT (54 U/L, it said that normal is up to 50), total bilirubin of 1.6 mg/dL, direct bilirubin is 0.37.
- Total Protein is 9 g/dL (normal up to 8.3), Globulins are 3.7 g/dL (normal up to 3.5)
- Ultrasound suggestive of fatty liver + distended gallbladder with no stones + Malrotated Kidney!

Do I need to do anything about these results?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your liver enzymes seem to be elevated. The enzymes are elevated in liver disorders like fatty liver disease. Fatty liver can be due to alcoholism when it is called Alcoholic fatty liver disease and the other one is Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is due to obesity, diabetes and high triglyceride levels. This can progress to cirrhosis of the liver and can be associated with hepatocellular carcinoma. So, prevention or cure is by avoiding alcohol and treating diabetes, obesity and high triglyceride levels. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.